[Freedom-misc] Invidio.us - youtube redirect site, AGPLv3, no JS required

mason at masonhock.com mason at masonhock.com
Sun Sep 30 20:22:43 CEST 2018

As I understand it, Invidious does not use YouTube's API, so it is not
subject to Google's terms of service.[1] It's not different from youtube-dl
in that it downloads YouTube videos without YouTube's API or web interface.
It is different in that it *replaces* the web interface, so you're right that
this could piss them off more.

Some videos are inaccessible with Invidious due to DRM. If Google put this
kind of DRM on all videos it could kill Invidious, but if Google were
interested in doing this they could already have used it to kill youtube-dl.
I've wondered why they don't do this. I don't see any technical reason why
they couldn't, so they must benefit in some way from allowing most videos to
be accessible without DRM.

[1] https://github.com/omarroth/invidious/issues/130