[Freedom-misc] Making vanilla MATE look like Unity

xliang9550 at live.cn xliang9550 at live.cn
Thu Oct 4 05:26:46 CEST 2018

I am trying to optimize the MATE desktop environment on a 21:9 screen laptop.
I simply want to minimize vertical pixels used by panels, etc..

The discontinued Unity desktop sounded good for this very specific reason.
Subsequently Ubuntu MATE offered a panel layout named "Mutiny" that looked
like Unity a lot. Yet I really dislike Ubuntu and its spins (especially the
Chinese spin named "Ubuntu Kylin").

The wiki of Ubuntu MATE community says that the panels can be fully
customized using MATE Tweak. Is this possible in free/libre distributions
like Debian (without non-free firmware) or Trisquel?

Note: I currently use a not-so-perfect workaround. I combined the two panels
of vanilla MATE into just one and it looks cluttered.