[Freedom-misc] What is your favourite login manager?

figosdev at users.sourceforge.net figosdev at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 3 15:18:08 CEST 2018

"ConsoleKit's developers urge (in bold face and with an exclamation mark)
GNU/Linux distributions to switch to logind"

consolekits developers have taken over countless projects and gradually
lumped them together into a single project that only a large monopolistic
corporation is realistically capable of maintaining or steering. at least if
you find a bug you can submit a fix, so thats better than non-free software.

the solution for software freedom isnt to switch to logind, it is to maintain
(if necessary, fork) consolekit. other people are likely to fork logind.

"I find it scary that Trisquel 8 ships ConsoleKit by default. No development
whatsoever in more than five years cannot be good from a security point of
view"

you cant fix any security flaws in anything, until you find one. it would be
a lot scarier (and more meaningful) if trisquel knew of an important flaw in
consolekit and shipped it without doing anything.

regarding security, i find it scarier that loginds developers have a "please
can we multiply size the attack surface of everything by 10" design approach.
a not-yet-found security flaw in consolekit, by comparison might as well be a
not-yet-found security flaw in any other software.