[Freedom-misc] Re : What is your favourite login manager?

lcerf at dcc.ufmg.br lcerf at dcc.ufmg.br
Wed Oct 3 13:28:17 CEST 2018

are you sure lightdm is the thing to blame here?

I do not want to "blame" any project.  Just an hypothesis (I did not search):
it may be due to the choice of logind as a dependence, instead of the
unmaintained (including at the time of Trisquel 7's release) ConsoleKit:
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit/

Trisquel's choice (inherited from Ubuntu, but it did not have too) because,
upstream, GDM was an optional dependency:
https://blogs.gnome.org/ovitters/2013/09/25/gnome-and-logindsystemd-thoughts/

Anyway:

Trisquel 7 + GNOME Shell + LightDM: cannot lock the screen, cannot have
notifications on the screensaver;
Trisquel 7 + GNOME Shell + GDM: those features work;
Trisquel 8 + GNOME Shell + LightDM (or GDM, certainly): those features work.

i DO expect attitudes towards user freedom to not be antagonistic

I do not see any freedom issue here: GDM (and GNOME as a whole) is free
software.  Their choices of system libraries or their compatibility with
other programs have nothing to do with freedoms.  In particular, you are free
to fork GDM.

On a side note, I find it scary that Trisquel 8 ships ConsoleKit by default.
No development whatsoever in more than five years cannot be good from a
security point of view: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/ConsoleKit/log/

ConsoleKit's developers urge (in bold face and with an exclamation mark)
GNU/Linux distributions to switch to logind:
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit/