[Freedom-misc] creating forums for cooperatives

jaisgossman at gmail.com jaisgossman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 21:44:14 CET 2018

Hello world!

I am on a mission.  I don't have a lot of knowledge to help me out, so I am
throwing this line out into the ether to see if my mission might be able to
be accomplished.  My mission is to create a forum for a food cooperative that
I am starting with some others, and eventually to host this forum on a server
that is in our cooperative.  However, I have very little know-how.  I managed
to get Trisquel installed on my own laptop, after I had used Linux Mint for
some time (I no longer can use mint, for reasons unknown to me...)

But all that is beside the point of finding out what forum service I could
use, and if there is a good one, how do I begin administering it?  I have no
knowledge of how to do this, but after numerous failed attempts in other
directions, I am here, asking for advice.  I want to learn how to build this
forum service for our co-op members and volunteers "from the ground up", so
that I might better be of service to that community.

What are the suggestions?  Keep in mind I can't do it all at once.  My
mission is to have something semi-workable by March, so I will be taking baby
steps.  I consider it a learning process.  Some basics of my situation: I am
using Trisquel on an old acer laptop aspire 5610Z.  I am trying to
participate in the EOMA68 project on crowdsupply and hope to do some
experimentation with that.

So, first steps first, what forum service should I use?  Or am I getting
ahead of myself?