[Freedom-misc] btrvrms -- a better vrms

figosdev at users.sourceforge.net figosdev at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Oct 27 06:59:22 CEST 2018

i would recommend this just for practical reasons, because i was reading it
today as part of my research into just how poor a tool vrms is:
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/FSDG_Review_Guide

note that automated checking is actually suggested as a useful step (not a
guarantee of being fully free.)

vrms only checks items that are in public repos, which is a fact i could use
to make a very useful tool. that doesnt mean i would never take it beyond
that single purpose, it just means that if i didnt, a useful tool would still
exist.

of course i expect criticism and people telling me it isnt worthwhile to do
this. and thats useful, id like to know how many people feel that way.

but i still recommend the fsdg review guide, as this tool will a. help find
non-free stuff b. make it very clear what its own limitations are-- avoiding
a problem that exists in vrms and c. provide some useful commentary on
problems for software freedom that a surprising number of users are quite
unaware of.

but negative feedback is expected with this-- from both sides of the fully
free fence.

i take a lot of inspiration from teaching and tutoring, and this will be
useful to me in that regard. but i plan to be at least thorough enough that
people making and promoting free distros would possibly benefit from it.

for example, someone was talking about how to make devuan libre. this tool
would find 100% (not a guarantee, a likelihood since im very familiar with
devuan and it is mostly free) of problems with the live version, and report
them to the user. theres a lot of guesswork that goes into peoples discussion
about other distros-- this would reduce it.