[Freedom-misc] Does this mean Librem 15 can be Librebooted?

figosdev at users.sourceforge.net figosdev at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 22 07:38:08 CEST 2018

 > Lots of ARM SoCs will run without any proprietary software, albeit without
graphical hardware acceleration. In fact many ARM devices come with a libre
bootloader (Das U-Boot) by default. Also MIPS, and then of course there's the
TALOS products and RISC-V. It's only x86 that's fatally flawed as far as I
know.

 > Like I said, many ARM SoCs will run without any proprietary software, just
with reduced capability. The Pyra should be one example, and the EOMA68-A20
computer card is another. There's even a Chromebook, the C201, which will
work without any proprietary software and with minimal modifications (just
install a libre OS, add a USB WiFi adapter, and you're good to go).

 > Right now? The fastest option right now would be those old ThinkPads. But
there's also the Chromebook C201, for example, if you install a libre OS on
it.

 > For the near future, hopefully EOMA68 setups should become a realistic
option reasonably soon, and that would provide a clear and easy upgrade path
if it becomes successful.

 > There's also the DragonBox Pyra if you install a libre OS on it.

thank you, thank you, thank you.

this is what i was looking for. i know the thinkpads are on the ryf list,
either the ryf list has gotten a lot longer lately or this stuff isnt on it.

now i understand why everyone is adamant about this. its not the concept i
was having trouble with-- i was looking for the context. cheers.