[Freedom-misc] Why are Libreboot PCs and Replicant Androids so aging?

figosdev at users.sourceforge.net figosdev at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 11 22:04:32 CEST 2018

one might think they are better off going amish at this point. however, youd
lose access to the largest library in the in world, youd lose access to a
global telecommunication network (for better or worse, but since the amish
practice shunning as a form of emotional abuse, denying them access to the
outside world is harder to defend as a practice) and as microchips and nano
technology continue their very slow invasion of the material world-- its
better to understand computers than to try to avoid them.

assuming that autonomy is still a goal. which means we should have computers,
but we should probably rip out the mic and cover the camera at least. (and
ultimately the speakers.)

people bring cameraphones to stallman speeches, he asks them (whether
rhetorically or seriously) to turn them off. snowden recommended taking the
battery out or putting them in the refrigerator. im pretty sure my phone can
receive calls in the fridge-- im a lot less sure i can receive calls near the
x-ray room in the hospital.

"they will succeed eventually"

yes, but they will fail eventually, too.