[Freedom-misc] Does this mean Librem 15 can be Librebooted?

mason at masonhock.com mason at masonhock.com
Thu Oct 25 20:39:52 CEST 2018

 > https://puri.sm/learn/software-freedom-in-perspective/
 > This diagram is very misleading. It purports that a higher percentage of
free software results
 > in a more secure computer. It is an erroneous conclusion.

Yes, you can increase or decrease the percentage of free software by
installing or removing free packages, but that would not make the EC firmware
or Coreboot's proprietary blobs any more or less of a security risk.

That's also why I avoid referring to Coreboot as "mostly free." The
proprietary blobs might make up a small percentage of Coreboot's code, but
they could be very important compared to other parts of the code. If the
developer of a firmware blob has obfuscated the code to prevent anyone from
exercising freedoms 1 and 3, it seems unlikely that the code does something
mundane.