[Freedom-misc] JMP introduces alpha support for international SMS

mason at masonhock.com mason at masonhock.com
Mon Oct 8 20:36:21 CEST 2018

JMP is a replacement for the cell network. It neutralizes the network effect
of the cell network by integrating with it via a relay bridge. Users can use
XMPP and SIP to send/receive text messages and phone calls to/from cell phone
users. This only requires Internet access, no need for a SIM card or modem,
so no need to carry a tracking device.

Until now JMP users could only send text messages to US/Canada phone numbers.
There is now alpha support for sending text messages internationally. This is
not yet reflected on the website,[1] so I'm including the relevant paragraphs
from the newsletter:

"In case it's been a while since you checked out JMP, here's a refresher: JMP
lets you send and receive text and picture messages (and calls) through a
real phone number right from your computer, tablet, phone, or anything else
that has an XMPP client.  JMP's tagline, "Freedom For Your Phone Number",
captures the freedom that JMP gives you from traditional cell phone carriers,
as well as the fully-free nature of all the software that powers JMP
(licensed entirely under AGPLv3+).

"JMP users can now send international SMS (i.e. SMS to countries outside
Canada and the US), as part of our alpha rollout!  Thanks to the agreement we
alluded to in last month's email, we've been able to enable international SMS
sending on all JMP numbers (receiving of international SMS has always been
supported).  The feature is currently in alpha while we do further testing
and validation work, but it's available to you now if you want to try it out
(at no additional charge while in alpha).

If you don't have an international number to test with, or if you run into
any issues with the international texting functionality (i.e. messages are
not delivered at all or only some countries work), let us know by replying to
this email or contacting support: https://jmp.chat/#support .  We can help
you from there and/or provide an international number you can use to test the
functionality."

[1] https://jmp.chat/