[Freedom-misc] Making vanilla MATE look like Unity

mason at masonhock.com mason at masonhock.com
Thu Oct 4 06:30:58 CEST 2018

 > Making vanilla MATE look like Unity

I'd never want anything to look like Unity. I didn't realize it was possible
to make GNOME look so ugly until Ubuntu made it look like Unity in 18.04.

The 21:9 screen is an interesting case though. I can see a vertical panel
like Unity's being useful there, since a horizontal panel that long would be
mostly empty.

If you're into tiling window managers, that might help utilize the horizontal
space. i3 plays quite nicely with MATE.

 > The wiki of Ubuntu MATE community says that the panels can be fully
customized using MATE Tweak. Is this possible in free/libre distributions
like Debian (without non-free firmware) or Trisquel?

I'm not aware of freedom issues with MATE Tweak. Ubuntu's version is
apparently slightly modified for Trisquel

https://devel.trisquel.info/trisquel/package-helpers/blob/flidas/helpers/make-mate-tweak
https://devel.trisquel.info/trisquel/package-helpers/blob/flidas/helpers/DATA/mate-tweak/screensaver-nounredir.patch

but not in a way that should limit your ability to customize panels.