[Freedom-misc] I think the Raptor machines run Trisquel

mason at masonhock.com mason at masonhock.com
Thu Oct 4 00:09:27 CEST 2018

 > It is not more efficient to derive from debian than ubuntu

No, and it has already been explained to you why. Feel free to examine the
package helpers[1] yourself.

 > considering ubuntu is a debian
 > derivative which adds non free software?

Ubuntu might add some non-free software, but they probably get most of their
non-free software from Debian. The fact that non-free is disabled by default
in Debian is only relevant to Debian users, not to downstream.

 > https://trisquel.info/en/new-cycle-what-we-achieved-and-whats-come
 > Does ruben say he gets paid by the fsf but works on trisquel in his
 > free time? Or does ruben say he is able to work on trisquel during his fsf
 > hours? I read the latter.

He only says that he no longer requires a stipend because he is able to
support himself with his salary as sysadmin at the FSF. He does not say that
he works on Trisquel during hours for which he is paid to be a sysadmin.

 > Not ruben?

Either. Why haven't you messaged one of them yet? I'm not responding to your
other points about Trisquel/FSF because if you had evidence for them you
would surely have produced it by now. Hopefully David or Ruben can answer
your questions about Trisquel's finances.

 > What about pureos?

Is PureOS targeted at beginners? I hope not, because Purism's forum is a bad
place for beginners to be. Users often ask for and receive help installing
proprietary software, usually with no warning that this would be bad for
their freedom. I discovered this when I briefly browsed the forum after
stumbling on this thread[2] while researching a WiFi card. In the thread, a
Purism employee advises a user to add Debian non-free in order to install
non-free firmware. Beginners would be better off with a community that values
freedom and will not steer them in the wrong direction. For advanced users
who know better or do not require the forum for support it might not be such
a problem, since PureOS itself will not steer them toward non-free software
assuming it adheres to the FSDG.

 > If free software
 > mainboards were many and tests available I would not ask fsf to promote or
 > test any given mainboard.

Fair enough.

 > Fsf should buy and test the only new free software mainboard which is for
sale.

I assume that by "test" you mean evaluate for RYF endorsement. If you mean
something else then correct me. I agree with you that the Talos, and non-x86
architectures in general, are important, but no one needs the FSF's
permission to use it. The purpose of a RYF endorsement would be for Raptor to
use the endorsement to help promote their product. If Raptor doesn't want to
do this, then it is not worth spending the FSF's money on. If you want to see
this happen, you'll first have to convince Raptor, not Trisquel users or the
FSF.

[1] https://devel.trisquel.info/trisquel/package-helpers/tree/flidas/helpers
[2] https://forums.puri.sm/t/wifi-not-working/1249