[Freedom-misc] What if RMS Really WAS President?

onpon4 at riseup.net onpon4 at riseup.net
Fri Jul 20 02:59:29 CEST 2018

RMS has a lot of political opinions unrelated to libre software. I happen to
think that some of them are a bit crazy or out-of-touch. The particular
example I can think of is that he expects that GMOs should be either
specially labeled or require testing (I don't remember which, it might even
be both), but just in general, RMS seems to be very far on the left and a
very strong environmentalist.

But just being President doesn't mean everything you want happens. You have
to have the support of your party and a majority in both the House and the
Senate, so it's generally the party's agenda that gets forwarded the most,
not the President's agenda. So if RMS was elected president with a "free
software party", then yeah, it would be very possible that the reforms Magic
Banana suggested could happen. But if he was running for the Green Party, for
instance, it would just be a bunch of environmentalist stuff with possibly
one or two things RMS wanted to do related to libre software.