[Freedom-misc] Re : Choosing between a D16 workstation and Talos II lite

lcerf at dcc.ufmg.br lcerf at dcc.ufmg.br
Thu Jul 19 13:25:49 CEST 2018

I do not think you are talking seriously but anyway: if the program was
inviting sellers to apply to a "Respect Your Freedom Maybe", it would
obviously be a complete failure.

Here are FSF's exact words (not that your summary is inexact):

Our endorsement is strictly conditioned on the seller's discharge of its
commitment to ensure that all product software will always be free software.
This applies to all software that the seller includes in the product, or
provides with the product, or recommends for use in conjunction with the
product, or steers users towards installation in the product, except for
certain microcode and firmware.

The exception applies to auxiliary processors or low-level processors, none
of whose software is meant to be installed or changed by the user or by the
seller. This can include, for instance, microcode inside a processor,
firmware built into an I/O device, or code compiled into an FPGA. The
software in such auxiliary and low-level processors does not count as product
software.

We want users to be able to upgrade and control the software at as many
levels as possible. If and when free software becomes available for use on a
certain auxiliary processor, we will expect endorsed products to adopt it
within a reasonable period of time. This can be done in the next model of the
product, if there is a new model within a reasonable period of time. If this
is not done, we will eventually withdraw the endorsement.
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Hardware/Certification_criteria#Always_100.25_free_software