[Freedom-misc] When to use and not use GNU AGPL

strypey at disintermedia.net.nz strypey at disintermedia.net.nz
Thu Jul 12 06:20:11 CEST 2018

JXSelf:
 > "And after all, the Affero clause was supposed to go into GPLv3 anyway."

Given everything you point out in your comment about desktop software being
encapsulated as web apps ("tivoized"), why was the Affero clause not added as
a standard part of GPLv3? The only reason I could think of is that it allows
GPL to function in server-side software the same way LGPL functions in
client-side software, keeping modifications to the code itself copyleft,
while allowing it to be used as a component in an otherwise proprietary
service. As a user, this could allow me to use a service in full freedom,
including any JS running in my browser, even if there is proprietary software
running on the server (I don't administrate that computer so that doesn't
directly impact my software freedom).