[Freedom-misc] ClamAV updates its database over unencrypted connection

wrappy.trial258 at startmail.com wrappy.trial258 at startmail.com
Tue Jul 10 23:59:19 CEST 2018

Hi all,

I hope someone with ClamAV experience and/or technical knowledge can help me
with this.

I noticed that the mirror over which the ClamAV database is updated doesn't
support https. It is an unencrypted http connection and there seem to be no
mirrors supporting https.

I'm wondering if this isn't risky (possible data corruption, MITM attacks,
etc.) - especially when it's something as sensitive as anti-virus software.

Is there some kind of verification happening in the background (e.g. like apt
verifying downloaded packages with a GPG key)?

Or isn't there a reason to worry at all?