[Freedom-misc] Where to get free software "sound packs" and "VSTs" for LMMS?

mason at masonhock.com mason at masonhock.com
Wed Jul 11 03:31:03 CEST 2018

I've never used LMMS, so I can't give you any help specific to that DAW.
Here's how I usually set up Trisquel for working with audio. (Note that this
will significantly complicate your audio setup. You may want to backup your
system or create another user account and try it there so that if it doesn't
work for you your previous setup is intact.)

(1) Add the KXStudio repositories via the instructions on this page[1]. Then
go to "Software & Updates" or Synaptic and remove any PPA added that says
"non-free". I'm not sure what's in the non-free ones, but I've checked the
license of every application[2] and plugin[3] listed on their site and they
are all free.

(2) Add your user to the audio group with

$ sudo usermod -a -G audio $USER

(3) Install a lowlatency kernel with

$ sudo apt install linux-lowlatency

(4) Install the 'cadence' package. It's from the KXStudio repository and
includes several tools that are useful for configuring and using JACK Audio
Connection Kit[4]. Launch the program "Cadence", select "Auto-start JACK or
LADISH at login", and click on "Configure". In the menu that launches, if the
driver selected is "Dummy" change it to "ALSA". Close Cadence.

(5a) If you are using a different sound card (e.g. a USB audio interface) for
audio programs such as your DAW, from the sound card you'll use for other
audio (Abrowser, RhythmBox, system sounds, etc.), then skip this step and do
(5b) instead. If you'll be using one sound card for everything, install the
package 'pulseaudio-module-jack", launch Cadence again, and under "JACK
Bridges" click on "PulseAudio". Make sure that "Auto-start at login" is
selected, and if it says "PulseAudio is started but not bridged" then click
"Start". Close Cadence.

(5b) Only do this if you did not do (5a) because you plan to use a second
sound card for working with audio. Open "Cadence" and click "Configure".
Change  Device/Interface" to the second soundcard.

(6) Reboot your computer.

(7) Make sure pulseaudio still works. Open Cadence and under "JACK Bridges"
click "PulseAudio". If you did (5a) it should say "PulseAudio is started but
not bridged". If you did (5b) it should say "PulseAudio is started and
bridged to JACK". If not, make sure "Auto-start at login is selected" and log
in/out. Once everything looks good there, try playing something in Abrowser
or your preferred media player and make sure you have sound.

(8) Launch "Catia", either directly or from the "Tools" tab in Cadence.
You'll see a flowchart. If you did (5a) the flowchart should contain
"PulseAudio sink" and "PulseAudio source". All audio to/from programs using
pulseaudio goes through here. If you did (5b) these items won't be here, and
pulseaudio should work as usual independently of what JACK is doing. Any
program using JACK will appear as an item on the flowchart, and can have it's
midi or audio input/output routed to/from any other programs input/output.
Let's try that now.

(9) Install the package 'ardour'. Ardour is the DAW that I recommend. Launch
Ardour and start a new session, selecting "JACK" not "ALSA". Ardour should
appear on the flo
wchart in Catia. Add a new audio track and a new midi track. In Catia, you
should see two new inputs appear for Ardour, one for the midi track and one
for the audio trac
k. Now open VLC, open up preferences, go to Audio, and change output module
to JACK. Now restart VLC and play a long file. While it's playing, VLC should
appear in Catia,
  with its outputs connected to your sound card's system out. Click on one of
VLC's outputs and drag to the input for the audio track we created in Ardour.
Now, go to Ard
our, click the red circle on the audio track to arm it for recording. Then up
at the top left of Ardour click that red circle and then hit play. The
expected behavior is
  that JACK will begin recording VLC's output to the audio track. If this is
what happens, then JACK is working and you're ready to go.

(10) Configure other programs[5] for use with JACK, install any plugins
you're interested in from the KXStudio repo (they should all work well with
Ardour and JACK).

[1] https://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories
[2] https://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Applications
[3] https://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Plugins