[Trisquel-devel] Brigantia: Impossible to add printer through 'gnome-control-center'

Andrzej P andrzej at morgangilbert.co.uk
Sat Mar 17 23:29:08 CET 2012

I launch 'gnome-control-center' and select 'Printers'.  All buttons
are "grayed out".  stderr reports:

(gnome-control-center:1626): printers-cc-panel-WARNING **: Your system
does not have the cups-pk-helper's policy
"org.opensuse.cupspkhelper.mechanism.all-edit" installed. Please check
your installation

This is ubuntu bug #877367:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/877367>

Ubuntu attempted to solve this by making 'cups-pk-helper' a dependency
of 'gnome-shell'.

I install 'cups-pk-helper'.  Now the "Printers" bit of
'gnome-control-center' displays an "Unlock" padlock which allows me to
authenticate and press buttons.

When I attempt to add a printer I am greeted with a disconcerting
message and still can't add a printer.  This is Ubuntu bug #871985:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/871985>,
etc.

We should probably be using 'system-config-printer' which seems to
work fine (at least until the official GNOME printer configuration
stuff works).  See also:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/system-config-printer/+bug/874268>
--
Andrzej P