[Trisquel-devel] Trisquel 5.5 beta images

Andrzej P andrzej at morgangilbert.co.uk
Sun Mar 4 22:36:36 CET 2012

So I managed to install the 5.5 beta.

Ubiquity crashes when clicking 'Continue'.  '/var/log/installer/debug'
has as its last line: "TypeError: Couldn't find conversion for foreign
struct 'cairo.Context'".  The bug is probably this Ubuntu bug:
<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/877223>.  I
installed 'python-gobject-cairo' and the installation seemed to go
without a hitch.  From the bug report it appears that Ubuntu fixed this
bug in a later version of the Ubiquity package by adding a dependency on
'python-gobject-cairo' to 'ubiquity-frontend-gtk'.  I guess that this
could be done in Trisquel.  It appears that they later changed this
dependency when the packaging of the 'pygobject' source package changed
after the release of Oneiric:

     "ubiquity (2.9.6) precise; urgency=low

     * Build-depend/depend on python-gi-cairo/python-gi-dev rather than
       python-gobject-cairo/python-gobject-dev."[1]

I also notice that for Ubiquity, the application icon as displayed in
the top left-hand corner of windows is the "missing icon" image.  From
reading the source I think that maybe the icon file in question is
'/usr/share/pixmaps/ubiquity.png' and this is present and correct (being
part of the installed 'ubiquity-ubuntu-artwork' package).  I'm not sure
if this bug is present in Ubuntu (and no one would notice anyway since
they put their window controls in the top-left).

FOTNOTES:
[1]
<http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/u/ubiquity/ubiquity_2.9.24/changelog>
--