[Trisquel-devel] Trisquel is based on Ubuntu

Rubén Rodríguez ruben at trisquel.info
Tue Jan 24 21:34:38 CET 2012

> I think it would be more interesting to use Linux Mint Debian to make
> Trisquel GNU/Linux.

Linux Mint is only a custom install cd for either Ubuntu or Debian. We
cannot use it as a base, we need something with complete repositories.

> Accelerated 3D doesn't work on my computer because Ubuntu is using a
> 2.6 Linux kernel.

Ubuntu uses several kernel releases, including 3.0, which is not
much that 6 month old and just entered the Triquel development
repositories this week.

> Using Linux Mint Debian, based on Debian testing,
> would be better because it is using a 3.1 Linux kernel.

You can use kernels that are still "hot from the oven" if you like, but
I don't think it is wise for a distro to use them. Neither does Debian,
which uses 2.6.32 (IIRC) for it is stable release. And they call it
"stable" for a reason.

> And because with Debian testing, updates are permanents, we don't
> need to install a new distribution each 6 month.

With rolling releases you have permanent updates along with permanent
bugs, regressions and dependency hell. Fun for enthusiasts and
developers, but I don't think it can be used for serious deployments.

Although it would be interesting to have an *alternative* Debian
testing based edition just for fun, but we have plenty of work already.

> And because I don't like Unity.

We are still to settle on a new default desktop, but it is very
unlikely that it will be Unity. Mint's desktop is not an option as it
is in any case based on GNOME3, which we will not use at least until it
can be rendered fully -no silly fallbacks- without 3D acceleration.