[Trisquel-devel] Possible issue in zip package

Marco Oliva marcooliva at sapo.pt
Thu Aug 20 14:50:18 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 19 August 2009 22:50:10 Rubén Rodríguez Pérez wrote:
> Daniel Olivera from UTUTO referenced to a possible issue in the zip
> package in a recent conversation. Marcooliva, can you take a look on it?

http://archive.trisquel.info/trisquel/pool/main/z/zip/

I found, the following problems, in zip version 2.32:

1º - The zip-2.32/LICENSE , in my opinion , is unclear:

"
This is version 2005-Feb-10 of the Info-ZIP license.
The definitive version of this document should be available at
ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/license.html indefinitely.

Copyright (c) 1990-2006 Info-ZIP.  All rights reserved.

For the purposes of this copyright and license, "Info-ZIP" is defined as
the following set of individuals:

   Mark Adler, John Bush, Karl Davis, Harald Denker, Jean-Michel Dubois,
   Jean-loup Gailly, Hunter Goatley, Ed Gordon, Ian Gorman, Chris Herborth,
   Dirk Haase, Greg Hartwig, Robert Heath, Jonathan Hudson, Paul Kienitz,
   David Kirschbaum, Johnny Lee, Onno van der Linden, Igor Mandrichenko,
   Steve P. Miller, Sergio Monesi, Keith Owens, George Petrov, Greg Roelofs,
   Kai Uwe Rommel, Steve Salisbury, Dave Smith, Steven M. Schweda,
   Christian Spieler, Cosmin Truta, Antoine Verheijen, Paul von Behren,
   Rich Wales, Mike White

This software is provided "as is," without warranty of any kind, express
or implied.  In no event shall Info-ZIP or its contributors be held liable
for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages
arising out of the use of or inability to use this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose,
including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it
freely, subject to the following restrictions:

    1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
       definition, disclaimer, and this list of conditions.

    2. Redistributions in binary form (compiled executables) must reproduce
       the above copyright notice, definition, disclaimer, and this list of
       conditions in documentation and/or other materials provided with the
       distribution.  The sole exception to this condition is redistribution
       of a standard UnZipSFX binary (including SFXWiz) as part of a
       self-extracting archive; that is permitted without inclusion of this
       license, as long as the normal SFX banner has not been removed from
       the binary or disabled.

    3. Altered versions--including, but not limited to, ports to new operating
       systems, existing ports with new graphical interfaces, and dynamic,
       shared, or static library versions--must be plainly marked as such
       and must not be misrepresented as being the original source.  Such
       altered versions also must not be misrepresented as being Info-ZIP
       releases--including, but not limited to, labeling of the altered
       versions with the names "Info-ZIP" (or any variation thereof,
including,
       but not limited to, different capitalizations), "Pocket UnZip," "WiZ"
       or "MacZip" without the explicit permission of Info-ZIP.  Such altered
       versions are further prohibited from misrepresentative use of the
       Zip-Bugs or Info-ZIP e-mail addresses or of the Info-ZIP URL(s).

    4. Info-ZIP retains the right to use the names "Info-ZIP," "Zip," "UnZip,"
       "UnZipSFX," "WiZ," "Pocket UnZip," "Pocket Zip," and "MacZip" for its
       own source and binary releases.
"

2º - In zip-2.32/windll/csharp/zip/Form1.cs ,
zip-2.32/windll/csharp/zip/Zip.cs ,
zip-2.32/windll/csharp/zip/ZipDLLPrintMessageEventArgs.cs and
zip-2.32/windll/csharp/zip/ZipDLLServiceMessageEventArgs.cs are written:

"
//_____________________________________________________________________________
  //
  //Sample C# code, .NET Framework 1.1, contributed to the Info-Zip project by
  //Adrian Maull, April 2005.
  //
  //If you have questions or comments, contact me at
adrian.maull at sprintpcs.com.  Though
  //I will try to respond to coments/questions, I do not guarantee such
response.
  //
  //THIS CODE AND INFORMATION ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
  //KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE
  //IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND/OR FITNESS FOR A
  //PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
  //
  //_____________________________________________________________________________
"

3º - The zip-2.32/macos/source/macstuff.c and zip-2.32/macos/source/macstuff.h
licenses are, in my opinion, unclear:

"
by Jim Luther (Apple Macintosh Developer Technical Support Emeritus)
with significant code contributions by Nitin Ganatra
(Apple Macintosh Developer Technical Support Emeritus)
Copyright  1992-1998 Apple Computer, Inc.
Portions copyright  1995 Jim Luther
All rights reserved.

The Package "More Files" is distributed under the following
license terms:

         "You may incorporate this sample code into your
          applications without restriction, though the
          sample code has been provided "AS IS" and the
          responsibility for its operation is 100% yours.
          However, what you are not permitted to do is to
          redistribute the source as "DSC Sample Code" after
          having made changes. If you're going to
          redistribute the source, we require that you make
          it clear in the source that the code was descended
          from Apple Sample Code, but that you've made
          changes."
"

4º - The zip-2.32/macos/source/recurse.c and zip-2.32/macos/source/recurse.h
licenses are, in my opinion, unclear:

"
Copyright (c) 1995-1998 Jim Luther and Apple Computer, Inc.
**  All rights reserved.
**
**  You may incorporate this sample code into your applications without
**  restriction, though the sample code has been provided "AS IS" and the
**  responsibility for its operation is 100% yours.
"

5º - In zip-2.32/win32/gvmat64.asm , zip-2.32/cmsmvs/zipsplit.exec ,
zip-2.32/cmsmvs/zipnote.exec , zip-2.32/cmsmvs/zipcloak.exec ,
zip-2.32/cmsmvs/zip.exec , zip-2.32/cmsmvs/pipzip.rexx ,
zip-2.32/cmsmvs/mc.exec and zip-2.32/cmsmvs/cczip.exec there are no licenses.
Only autors names.

P.S.: I will check the zlib software.