[Trisquel-announce] Trisquel 4.0 LTS Beta release

Rubén Rodríguez ruben at trisquel.info
Wed May 19 22:56:16 CEST 2010

This is the first development release of the 4.0 branch, based in
Ubuntu 10.04. As it is a LTS release we are starting our development
cycle earlier, in order have the final version ready for the summer.

By now, the beta desktop Live CD and the netinstall images are
available[1], as well as the first Trisquel mini beta image. They are
all available in 32 and 64 bit flavours. They all have the 3.5 artwork.

The 4.0 branch will also feature the Edu and Pro editions, a server
oriented environment, the Sugar TOAST[2] system, and a Gamer edition.

You can help us by testing the beta images and reporting[3] any bugs.
We need feedback on the usability and hardware support, especially for
the following pieces:

* Nvidia cards should now be supported (although with no 3D) by Nouveau
* We are including the Radeon driver in the current betas, but since we
removed the non-free stuff from it, we need to test the results.
* Atheros and B43 wifi drivers reliability needs to be tested.
* So does the console framebuffer support.

You can get more info and follow the development here:
http://trisquel.info/en/wiki/taranis-development

1: http://devel.trisquel.info/taranis
2: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trisquel_On_A_Sugar_Toast
3: http://trisquel.info/project/issues